Moulin Banal
des Éboulements

In the seigneurial regime in Québec, the construction of a grist mill for the use of tenant farmers was an obligation of the Seigneur. Although the Les Éboulements seigneury dates back to 1683, the present mill was built in about 1790 by Pierre Tremblay.

The Seigneurial Manor, located above the mill, was built in 1810 after the Tremblay family had sold the seigneury to Pierre de Sales Laterrière. This is one of four sites in Québec where the Seigneurial Manor and its mill still stand together.

The mill was saved from destruction and completely restored by C. J. G. Molson (of the beer family) in 1962. It is now owned and maintained by the Canadian Heritage of Québec. The building's structure and the milling machinery are essentially the same as they were 200 years ago.

Jean-Claude Gauthier

The St. Nicholas processional chapel, which stands at the entrance of the property, was originally located in Lévis County. It had been slated for demolition when architect Ross Anderson organized its move to this site. In Les Éboulements and the nearby Parish of St. Louis on L'Isle aux Coudres, processional chapels still stand at the extremities of the villages.

Logo from the mill's flour sacks