Moulins de l'Isle-aux-Coudres

The island owes its name to the hazelnut trees that were found there by the explorer Jacques Cartier in 1535. He named it Hazel Island (l'isle es coudres).

SPOOMers waiting at the coastal village of St. Joseph de la Rive for the ferry to l'Isle-aux-Coudres

A site near the southwest coast of the island is home to both a water mill (1825) and a windmill (1836). The windmill was built because the water mill often stopped for lack of sufficient flow of water, leaving the residents unable to grind their grain into life-sustaining flour on their isolated island home.
Although the windmill was the subject of major work on the part of the Commission des Monuments Historiques in 1944, the mills stopped running in 1948.
The windmill was extensively restored in 1961, and was classified as an historic monument in 1962. It was again restored and opened to the public in 1993.